Friday, September 2, 2011

Venus Williams and Robin Soderling Withdraws from 2011 US Open

The women’s side lost Venus Williams while the men’s side lost Robin Soderling as these two big names in tennis as they were forced out of action at the 2011 U.S. Open due to illness. Venus withdraw citing in her statement that she has been diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome, a condition that causes fatigue and joint pain which has in fact limited her to only three previous tournaments this year. In her statement she said:
I am thankful I finally have a diagnosis and am now focused on getting better and returning to the court soon.


The diagnosis ended months of worry for Venus for a condition that has been affecting her play for quite some time now. In an interview with ABC’s “Good Morning America” she said "I think I've had issues with Sjogren's for a while. It just wasn't diagnosed," Williams said. "The good news for me is now I know what's happening." She also added:
I would miss shots by feet," she said. "I couldn't feel my hands and my hands would hurt while I was playing. I'd have swelling and numbness and then fatigue, which was really debilitating.
Seems to me that both the Williams sisters have been having some health problems this year. Let's just hope they are able to fully recover...Serena has been doing good so far but she also had a scare a few months back. With Venus it's a question of whether she will get well and be back soon or are we talking retirement?


Sweden’s Robin Soderling hadn’d played a match yet but was scheduled to see action on Wednesday against Louk Sorensen of Ireland. Unfortunately, six-seeded Soderling was complaining about headaches and stomachache and his doctor recommended to him not to play. He has been struggling with a wrist injury and he also pulled out of the Master’s tournament in Cincinnati with throat problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment